Let’s start with some definitions:
- SEO – Search Engine Optimization … about organic (free) search engine results
- SEM – Search Engine Marketing … optimizing your online advertising (paid) search engine results (e.g., Google Adwords)
- SMO – Social Media Optimization … maximizing your traffic through your (free) social media activities
- SMM – Social Media Marketing … optimizing your social media advertising (paid) results (e.g., Facebook)
All of these factors (and many others) are part of a successful digital marketing effort.
Start with the basics:
- Fresh and Relevant: frequent updates help with your site rankings
- Mobile: the persistent growth in mobile device usage means more or more of your traffic originates from mobile devices … and Google prefer sites that work well with mobile devices
- HTTPS: implement basic security standards and maintain your certifications; Google prioritizes secure sites
- Accessibility: supporting assistive technologies can also help search engines read your content more easily
With Google’s Hummingbird algorithm, social shares are more important in calculating rankings, and they’re apt to contribute even more in the near future.
For further reading:
- What is SEO, SEM, SMM, SMO? – July 18, 2017